Other Modifications to the '94 RS:
Two additional auxiliary BMW sockets were installed, one on each side of the service panels. One of the sockets is connected through the ignition switch, the other is connected directly to the battery with an in-line fuse. One of the sockets is used for a telephone charger, the other is for a night map-reading light.
Presently I am not using the latter one because a Garmin 2610 GPS was installed and this made it redundant.
The use of the volt meter is important. Constant monitoring of the battery is possible while other equipments are users of the charging system too. This volt meter is a 2" diameter Honda volt meter which cost $35.- while the BMW volt meter priced over $200.-
During my first 1,200 km ride I found out that, due to my short arms, leaning forward is very tiring, it is a bad position for the neck and visibility is also affected. One set of bar-backs was already an improvement but having three sets on top of each other made rides really enjoyable. I am still leaning a bit forward, which is just nice in the turns. The three sets of bar-backs brought the grips 5 inches closer and 2.6 inches higher.
Since I am using the lowest position of the saddle the height of the foot-pegs was real hard on the knees. Before the first trip to the West I managed to made foot-rests under the cylinders. These are not highway-pegs, only the front of the foot has room under the cylinder, but still gives me a few minutes rest sometimes during a 10-12 hour day ride. The situation was further improved when I found a "foot-lowering" kit; made in Germany. This lowering kit gives a foot position approximately 1.5 inches lower and .75 inches forward.
Changing of the original RS intake tubes for GS intake tubes provided better torque characteristics at mid-range city riding. This modification was suggested by the late Rob Lentini; it is good so I never changed back to the original ones.
Rob Lentini also suggested installing the fuel filter outside the tank. How right he was, I found out on the hard way. During my first ride to the East coast at 15,000 km on the clock, I got stranded in the middle of nowhere.
After a 150 km towing I found out that the OME fuel filter busted inside the tank. The filter cost $15.- but it cost me a total of $350.- In no time I placed the filter outside of the tank.